Monday, April 23, 2012

I need to talk.

I know it has been months since I last blogged but to be honest, I have just been trying to get by without R.
It is amazing how you can live your whole life (well, 23 years) not knowing someone and then once they are in your life, it is as if you forget how to live without them.
I am not saying that we do everything together but we do always have the option of doing things together.
Now I am solo, like it or not.
And that is okay, because I know that this is what being a military spouse is about.
And I know that this is why Ryan became a pilot, to save the lives of troops.
In fact, the motto of the 25th ID is:
 
We Fly For The Troops
• Dark of Night, Heat of Day
• Challenging Weather
• Harsh Terrain
• Hostile Territory
• Always Mitigating Risk
• With the Best Maintained Equipment in the Army
 Until The Fight on the Ground Is Won!

But no matter how motivating the motto, or how many years you are a military spouse, it never gets any easier when you hear about the loss of your husband's friends.
Thursday, Ryan lost three of his friends in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.
And I have no idea how to comfort him, I feel completely useless.
And on top of that, I feel the need to be comforted myself.
I feel this loss too. I feel it for him.
I feel it for their families.
It wasn't Ryan but it was someones "Ryan".
Everyone over there has someone waiting back home, praying for their return, sending them letters and packages. Waiting for pictures and emails.
There are people just like me, who have just learned their loved one is not coming home.
And that is too much to bear.

And the part that really breaks my heart is that no one even knows this happened.
Our media spends countless hours telling us that Dick Clark and Whitney Houston have died but most Americans are not even aware that a helicopter crashed last Thursday.
They have no idea that four heroes are gone.
Every one's lives just go on as frivolously as ever.
It is hard not to get bitter.
It is hard not to resent people for not caring.
How can they be so clueless?
How can they be so unaware?

When these things happen, it makes everything else seem so trivial.
There is a two year old out there today who will never see his dad again.
There is a wife who will never kiss her husband again.
There are mothers and fathers who will never get to tell their sons they love them again.
And people are complaining about Mondays or traffic or bills or being busy?
I just want to scream "Get some perspective"!!

I'm sure I could go on in this manner for an hour but it won't change anything.
If you are offended by this, it is probably safe to say that I am offended by you.
So let's just agree to disagree.


No comments: