This past week, I got to try something very scary.
Making someone elses favorite recipe. One that their mom makes!
Yes, we all know OUR mom is the best cook, ever. ;)
So you can imagine the pressure.
Ryan's good buddy has started joining us for dinner on Wednesdays so I asked for his favorite dish.
Chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes, he said.
Of course Ryan and I started in with 100 questions because we have never heard of that.
It's basically chicken and teeny, tiny dumplins served over mashed potatoes (for us midwesterners).
I was sold, I had to make it.
So I asked him to get his moms recipe for me.
And then it was on like bing bong, Jack.
His mom makes her own noodles, which I have never done.
I was also informed that the text message recipe she sent was one of her first texts ever sent, so I had to do some research to clarify what I was getting myself into.
Surely she did not need me to buy "8 billion cubes".
That's a lot of cubes! :)
I found a similar recipe for homemade pasta on Pioneer Woman's site.
So I combined the two recipes and it turned out great.
I sent the boys to happy hour, turned on some music, put on my apron and got to work.
The chicken and mashed potatoes part was a breeze.
The noodles was also relatively easy, just time consuming.
When the boys got home, I was knee deep in cutting my noodles.
C made fun of my precision cutting.
He said his mom just gets the pizza cutter and is done in seconds.
I told him that her recipe warned me to keep them as thin as I could, and I was not messing around!
20 minutes later, I finally had my noodles cut!
Slow and steady, right?
Chicken and Noodles and Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
Noodles
4 Eggs
2+ cups Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
Chicken
2 Cans Chicken Stock
8 Chicken Buillion Cubes
3 Bone-In Chicken Breasts (We only like white meat, you can use dark if you prefer)
1. Beat 4 eggs in a large bowl. Add salt & pepper.
2. Add flour, one cup at a time, until the dough is stiff. Like so:
14. Serve!
Making someone elses favorite recipe. One that their mom makes!
Yes, we all know OUR mom is the best cook, ever. ;)
So you can imagine the pressure.
Ryan's good buddy has started joining us for dinner on Wednesdays so I asked for his favorite dish.
Chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes, he said.
Of course Ryan and I started in with 100 questions because we have never heard of that.
It's basically chicken and teeny, tiny dumplins served over mashed potatoes (for us midwesterners).
I was sold, I had to make it.
So I asked him to get his moms recipe for me.
And then it was on like bing bong, Jack.
His mom makes her own noodles, which I have never done.
I was also informed that the text message recipe she sent was one of her first texts ever sent, so I had to do some research to clarify what I was getting myself into.
Surely she did not need me to buy "8 billion cubes".
That's a lot of cubes! :)
I found a similar recipe for homemade pasta on Pioneer Woman's site.
So I combined the two recipes and it turned out great.
I sent the boys to happy hour, turned on some music, put on my apron and got to work.
The chicken and mashed potatoes part was a breeze.
The noodles was also relatively easy, just time consuming.
When the boys got home, I was knee deep in cutting my noodles.
C made fun of my precision cutting.
He said his mom just gets the pizza cutter and is done in seconds.
I told him that her recipe warned me to keep them as thin as I could, and I was not messing around!
20 minutes later, I finally had my noodles cut!
Slow and steady, right?
Chicken and Noodles and Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
Noodles
4 Eggs
2+ cups Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
Chicken
2 Cans Chicken Stock
8 Chicken Buillion Cubes
3 Bone-In Chicken Breasts (We only like white meat, you can use dark if you prefer)
1. Beat 4 eggs in a large bowl. Add salt & pepper.
2. Add flour, one cup at a time, until the dough is stiff. Like so:
3. Kneed the dough until it is smooth, this took me what seemed like forever.
( PW is very good about showing pictures of what it looks like when it is ready versus not)
4. At this point, I let the dough rest for about 20 minutes.
4. Once it has had a nice little siesta, it's time to party. Roll it as thin as you can get it.
5. Use a pastry cutter or pizza cutter to cut long thin noodles (about 1/8 thick).
6. Put the noodles in a bowl with flour and shake around to coat them.
7. Let them rest while you prepare the chicken. (These are some lazy noodles).
8. Bring your chicken stock and buillion cubes to a boil.
9. Add your chicken and cook until done.
10. Start your mashed potatoes.
11. Remove chicken breasts when cooked through and start deboning.
11. While you are deboning, add your noodles to the pot. Use a fork to keep them from sticking to the bottom of your pot.
12. Add the chicken back into the pot. Keep stirring.
13. Finish up your potatoes.
14. Serve!
No comments:
Post a Comment