Thursday, June 24, 2010

Moving stinks!

Quick run down of our week.

Monday the movers came to pack up all of our "non-temporary storage".
Since we don't know where we are going to live in Hawaii we are sticking to the better safe than sorry approach.
We didn't want to have to be forced to sell things that wouldn't fit into our new house, so off to storage it went.
Called about getting our car shipped.
Found out that we need a letter from Honda saying that we can ship the car to Hawaii.
Called Honda they said "oh no problem it will take 48 hours to get that out to you".
Well, that is not good considering we hoped to ship my car this week.
It takes 30 days to get a car to Hawaii, so I guess we are just out of luck.
Now we are going to have no vehicle when we get there, poopie.

Tuesday the movers came to pack up our "unaccompanied baggage".
This is up to 900 lbs of things that will arrive in 30 days instead of 60.
So hopefully when we get to the island, these things will get there shortly afterward.
After the movers left we went on post and stopped by the vet clinic to make sure everything was ready.
We had to get this special blood test done for the dogs in order to avoid the 120 day quarantine.
The test took 5 weeks to get results and cost $80!
Anyway, they both passed and so I asked what the next step was.
Well, surprise paying more money is the next step.
We found out that the state of Hawaii charges $165 per pet to enter the island!
And if you don't pay that before you arrive, the price jumps to $225 per pet.
YAY!!
Afterward someone from the Army called to tell Ryan that he couldn't take his leave.
Ryan changed his start date for the Blackhawk so that he would be able to go to Robin's wedding.
Everything he has done since he found out the date has revolved around being at the wedding.
So he put in his leave request weeks ago and it was approved.
We were supposed to leave this Saturday for OKC.
Well, the new commander decided that was impossible.
Granted, next week is very busy and important but come on.
He told Ryan that the earliest he could leave was Thursday at midnight (July 1st).
Well her wedding is on July 3rd.
It takes 13 hours to get there.
So basically we would get there just in time for the rehearsal dinner after driving all night.

Wednesday the movers came to pack up everything else.
It takes them all day.
Ryan goes to talk to his commander again and gets a bunch of crap.
Finally gets them to let him leave on Tuesday.
Honda calls and says that they need some more info (thanks for telling me this two days ago!!)
So I fax all the info they wanted.
I fill out all of the paperwork for the dogs to enter Hawaii and mail the money orders.
Sorry bank account.

Today the movers didn't come even though they were supposed to.
Honda calls to say they never received my fax.
I fax it all again.
I call them and they say they can't read it.
I fax it again.
Never get a call back.
So I guess that's on my list for tomorrow.
Along with the movers coming to load all of our boxes and furniture.
Then the cleaning begins.

I will be so happy when we get to Hawaii and don't have to worry about moving for a few more years!!

Sorry for all of the ranting but hey its my blog!

Now for some good stuff.

PUPO fact of the day:
If we are prego, our babies little body will have all of its essential structures on August 6th!

4 comments:

TASS said...

YEA!!!!!!!! I can leave comments :0)

Sounds like you have a lot going on! If you need anything let me know...and on a more happy note..3 MORE DAYS! O I cannot wait. Have you been feeling strange at all???

Love you

Samantha said...

BOO!!! amanda can leave comments :0)

seriously... sounds like quite the cluster.! sorry for all the crap they putting you guys through!

Heather Lynn said...

Oh My Gosh! I didn't even notice you were coming to Hawaii!! That is where my husband and I are stationed. So I can give you some Good news~~!!

1st. Your car will totally get here faster, they'll tell you 30 days, but it'll be faster. It takes 7 days to cross the ocean but everybody I know has gotten their cars (coming from Arkansas and North Carolina, etc) in 21days or less. :)
2nd. Double check on the animals. I moved my cat here and you are totally right on the blood test. However, to avoid the 120 quarantine, the animal has to spend 120 days on the mainland starting the day the lab received the blood. Pass or not. 120 days. Just so you are aware. Also, because I'm a nervous momma when my baby was changing planes in MSP I stood in the little walkway and watched them unload him. Animals go first so you can do that. :) Also when you get on your final flight to HI ask the flight attendant to assure your babies are on board. They will have a sticker or paper as confirmation. :)

3rd. Base housing is sooo impossible to get quickly, but you can live on any base here that has availability while you wait for your specific base. (With a few exceptions).

4th. For the Honda thing, my bestie went through the same thing with Toyota. What finally worked for her was going to a local Toyota dealership. She explained what she needed and they got in touch with who she needed and faxed the paperwork. Might work for Honda too! (And don't forget to make sure there is no gas in the car, they have to drain it at the docks so best if you don't lose much $$ on wasted gas!!!)

Hope this helps and that I didn't overwhelm you. Also on a side note, When do you get to be here cause I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet you in person. :)

TASS said...

Not even one more day!!!!!!!!!!! Crossing my fingers :)